Thursday, November 13, 2008

The American Dream

After the Obama election, I walked around in a haze for a day or two, shedding the occasional tear of joy and thinking about how to best explain to Old Baby why this was so important.

As my husband and children are all "persons of color", I wanted to impress upon my 5-year-old why this election was of particular interest to our family, but I had a hard time coming up with the proper way to say it, especially due to the fact that I don't think Old Baby is yet aware of any type of racial bias.

What I ended up saying to her was simply: "This election has shown us that it is possible in this country to become whatever you want to be if you are willing to work hard enough for it." This was, admittedly, pretty lame.

Old Baby looked at me for a moment, removed her thumb from her mouth, and told me: "I want to be the Tooth Fairy".

Realizing that this would require some backpedaling on my part, I explained that the Tooth Fairy job has been taken, permanently, and that she would have to think of something else she really wanted to be.

After a couple of seconds, she tells me her second choice dream job: "Then I'll be the Mexican Tooth Fairy."

2 comments:

Auntie Yaya said...

I am trying not to laugh too loud because I am at work. But I am laughing so hard I'm crying! It actually hurts a little.

GG said...

You should have told her she could be the tooth fairy if she learned to be invisible and fly. And are there national boundaries for tooth fairies? And is NAFTA involved